Monday, September 5, 2016

“A Loving Good-bye” to my most favorite fan – 102-year-old, Mr. Norris Smith.





Some of you might remember my blog post on April 19, 2014. It was about my 100-year-old fan, Norris Smith.
From the first day his daughter wrote to me about her father’s enjoyment of my writing, his belief in my talent thrilled me. I mean – any author who learns she has such a special reader would feel the same as I did… ecstatic - over the moon!!
She’d asked me to write him a small note for his birthday—that it would please him. Instead, I surprised him by dedicating Special Agent Francesca to him and sent him a paperback copy. As you can see by the photo he sent me as a thank you, he was extremely pleased.
I thought about my old friend often over the next few years and said prayers for his health and well-being. Many times, as I wrote the next three books in the Undercover FBI series, I imagined Norris’s enjoyment and it lightened my heart knowing I could bring him this kind of entertainment. It’s like I could visualize my reader (Norris) and I tried very hard to create the stories as he would like them – real barn burners!
I received a message from his daughter a short while ago that saddened me to tears. I've never met the man and yet I feel as if I know him personally. I've rewritten this tribute more than once and decided he wouldn't expect perfection - just true emotion. And that I sincerely feel.
She wrote: He was one of your biggest fans and I want to thank you for all the pleasure you gave him from reading your books. 
Norris had passed. I am saddened beyond belief.
Until… I was writing my new book Special Agent Booker today and I felt his presence the same way I always had.
Who says angels can’t read??



8 comments:

  1. Aw, Mimi, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm also sorry for Norris' daughter. I loved your uplifting ending! I'm sure Norris will be looking over your shoulder as you type out your manuscripts. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Donna. Maybe because he was always a kind spirit to me rather than a flesh and blood person, I feel that attachment anyway. He's still my best, most beloved fan.

      Delete
  2. What a special connection you have with readers, especially with Mr. Norris Smith! This is so endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me cry at work. This was my Great-grandfather. My great aunt (his daughter) just text me the link to this!!! Thank you so much.
    I'll be a fan for life!!
    Brittany Gleason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brittany,
    Wish I was there to give you a hug.
    Truly, I'll always remember him.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great tribute!!! Yu will always be connected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it cheers me a lot. Thanks for commenting xo

      Delete