Saturday, November 8, 2014

#Thunderclap or #HeadTalker – which one works best?

Heck I don’t know!!!
What I do know is that it seems as if more of these social media strategies sneak up on us every day. I keep thinking I know what’s going on out there, but… I’m not so sure anymore.

I'll tell you what I do know, and if you have more information to share, please add it in the comments.

I've started working on some projects with a fantastic book tour group called Book Partners in Crime (watch for a blog about them in the future) and part of what they offer in some of their tours is to be signed up with both Thunderclap and HeadTalker. So that was my first inkling about this new trend. Being that I’m open to trying new things (more like jump in head first before any vetting) I ticked the boxes and then thought - maybe I should do some homework. 
This is what I found. Thunderclap expects you to have 100 people sign up on your behalf with their Twitter, Facebook or Tumblr links. (you can sign for one or all three.) When asked to click their approval, some folks were a bit leery to give this site access to their information. I checked into it and it's not like that. All Thunderclap does is send this one post on your behalf and they need your okay. That is their policy.   

 On their FAQ’s page it says:

Wait, but why does the authorization message say you need access to my friends list?

The permissions granted to us by Twitter and Facebook include some that we have no intention of using, which includes access to your friends list. We only post a single message to your account in support of your chosen campaign. We only store a token that is given to us by the social networks over a secure connection. We do not see your password, nor do we store it in our system.
I believe them because their success depends on this being true. Right??
When you sign in with your own twitter or Facebook, it's kinda cool. The numbers on the side will shift and one will be added. Once there are 100 people, on the set date, Thunderclap sends out all of the tweets, facebook posts and tumblr  at once. And the hope is that other friends will share and retweet. 
They do not charge for a Thunderclap at the level authors wish to use it, but there is a premium account for larger companies. Plus, it’s very simple to use.


Now for HeadTalker!  They’re not as demanding. All they need for your campaign to be successful is 50 people to sign on. They’ve also added LinkedIn to this site as well as Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr. Same as Thunderclap, there is no cost involved and it’s simple to set up.

The only problem I've run across is getting enough friends to help you in time for the big day. If by any chance you exceed the 100 or 50 necessary  supporters –  the more you do get the better!! But… if you don’t have the required number of people sign on, then your blast doesn’t happen.

So keeping that in mind, and not wanting your old buddy Mimi to miss out on her big push for her newest release, Special Agent Finnegan, if you feel you’d like to help...??

Here are the links to my two campaigns:


Such blatant manipulation is sinful……I’m so ashamed!!



  1. Mimi do you mean Partners in Crime Tours? OH and LOVE that you posted this. I think I am going to try head talker for a client and Thunderclap for the other. Same genre two different types of reach. We will see how they work!

    1. Hi Kriss,

      Feel free to email me if you have any questions regarding setting up a campaign. I am more than happy to help. My email is .

      Best Regards,


    2. Thank Chris for leaving a comment and for signing on to my Headhunter campaign. I hope I gave out the right advice but if you'd like to do a post yourself about Headtalker, I'd love to have you as a guest.

  2. Hi Kris, no it isn't Partners in Crime - It's actully Book Partners in Crime I hope the blasts work for you. One thing I've found out is that you must be absolutely sure that your tweet or share is correct before it goes out :-) makes sense and something I took for granted but...human error can happen so....:-)

  3. Hey Mimi,

    Thanks for writing this and trying out HeadTalker. I am happy to see you hit your campaign goal on HeadTalker and I just supported it with my Twitter. Feel free to reach out anytime.

    Best Regards,

    Chris LaBonty