- Step #7 of author Mimi Barbour's thirteen promotio...
- Meet another new friend!
- Angels - the lot of you! Thanks...
- Meet my new friend!
- Featuring Three, Really Great Books!
- Categories on Amazon
- Announcing great books for no price at all!
- Great books - Your lucky Day - Par-tay!
- Book Descriptions - Are they Important?
- Coming soon! Par-Tay Time!
- Ya gotta believe in yourself!
- Step #6 of author Mimi Barbour's thirteen promotio...
- ▼ March (12)
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, March 29, 2012
9:12 PM | Posted by Mimi Barbour | | Edit Post
7. Goodreads – Again, I have to admit to taking on Goodreadswith a lot of enthusiasm, which did wane after a while. It’s time consuming for an author - but well worthwhile. Because as a reader, and I admit to being a reading freak, it’s a wonderful place to find others who like the same kind of books as you. I’ve met some of my favorite people here, people who I now consider friends, and therefore I try and spend as much time as I can in keeping in touch with them.
Even though I’ve covered the best of Goodreads in my original blurb, I must delve into the benefits a bit more. For every author who is trying to make her way in the social media maze, she/he needs to find readers. The best part about Goodreads is that everyone involved is a booklover, which is what has brought them there in the first place.
This is a site that works something like twitter. The more active you are, the more people see you and want to be friends. The more friends you have, the more people see you….
If you're a writer, once your friends become familiar with your name - because in our industry a lot depends on name recognition - they have more of a tendency to choose your book over others. It’s a well-known fact that this works in an author’s favor. Add to that a killer book cover and a great story, and the next step is those same friends taking the time to write you a review.
And reviews make such a difference to not only the fortunate author, but to many readers. They’re used as a guide in helping them make choices. Myself, I like to see that others have enjoyed the book that interests me.
Friends get to trust the references from others who enjoy the same genres, especially if their likes and dislikes are similar. It can lead to interaction between each other and a closer link is formed. And that's what it's all about. Linking with each other over a subject of interest to us all. Books!!
My Favorite charity has to be the Cancer Society. It's true that there are so many wonderful causes out there in the world quietly helping people to make the most of their lives. But for me, that dreaded disease has taken loved ones from my own family and probably has affected more people's lives than anything else I can think of. It's a battle we've won in some instances, and totter on the verge of breakthroughs for others. In time, maybe no one has to die from cancer. With our help...
For this Charity Hopping Around the World Blog Hop I will be happy to present the lucky winner with a $10 Amazon Gift certificate. All you need to do is leave a comment with your e-mail address.